Test hydroprene in agar

Friday 4th: i diluted the hydroprene in acetone (5mL of acetone for the 250mg of hydroprene, in the original bottle)

i put 0.1mL in the 300mL of agar solution and used this solution to make 4 nests and put the termites in it at 17 Friday 4th August

Advertisements
Test hydroprene in agar

Gal Conso table done with matlab code

With the new table i have the consumption during the 6 days the workers have build the gallery (Prot, Lip, Carb) linked to the gallery length (Gw). The gallery length is divided by the number of workers still alive at the middle of it (day 3 of digging) and the consumption is divided by the number of workers alive when the food was given)

Boxplot of the galleries dug after 6 days, per diet (length in cm, divided by the number of workers alive at day 3 of digging)

Gal Conso table done with matlab code

New amitermes collected

another colony of amitermes neogermanus collected, this time not in the arboretum but on the right side of the road (when walking toward cross road), so it is safe to say it is a different colony than the other. This time i found 3 soldiers (for around 50 workers), whereas i only found one in the other colonies i found (around 150 w in total)

i gave food to all of them (diet P3, mix with agar 4%, around 60%agar,40%diet)

New amitermes collected

amitermes neogermanicus collection

  • 16th june and 19th June: found 2 little chambers with some amitermes neogermanicus. No soldiers nor reproductives, only workers (seems to have 2 stage, one smaller and whiter, the other bigger and more pigmenter)
  • Termites were put in 4% agar nest to see if i could use them in caste determination experiments, as apparently soldier can be formed from workers in Amitermes. I have to see if they accept to eat the artificial diet
  • nest 1 collected 16th june: 9big and 9 small workers (1 big and 1 small were a bit damaged during collection and didn’t survive)
  • also found some transparent ants while digging
amitermes neogermanicus collection

Gallery length measurement finished

Data: gallery length measured every 6 days, just before changing the nest. Consumption and number of survivors are the one 3 days before (=number of survivors 3 days before the galleries are measured, and food is the one eaten in the last 3 days)

[r,p]=corr(gallerylength,Nbworkers,’type’,’Spearman’)

r =0.6012

p =3.3640e-66

>> [r,p]=corr(Gw,Cw,’type’,’Spearman’)

r =0.2123

p =3.5695e-08

 

>> [r,p]=corr(Gw,Dw,’type’,’Spearman’)  ## global food consumption

r =0.2091

p =5.7431e-08

>> [r,p]=corr(Gw,Pw,’type’,’Spearman’)

r =0.1226

p =0.0016

>> [r,p]=corr(Gw,Lw,’type’,’Spearman’)

r =0.0373

p =0.3387

Gallery length measurement finished